Monday, April 28, 2003

The gang kinda let me down today. We were all so wasted from staying up late finishing our essays that we were tired and grouchy and ill to be our usual selves. Not the best way to celebrate my last philosophy lecture ever. Anyway, I'd better make up some names to protect myself from my dear friends' wrath. So, uh...Rick just went home again. Had lunch with um, Patricia and Lucy. Yeah that'll do. So I was telling them that I had discovered this weblog stuff over the weekend. I was all set to launch into a spiel on why I was blown away by it, but I had stuffed a piece of pizza in my mouth and by the time I had swallowed it (my mouth was suddenly devoid of all saliva) the conversation had moved on to dresses or something. So I will just put it down here. For posterity.

I think the first thing that impressed me about this medium is that it's instantaneous. You have an idea. You go to a pc and it's up there for the world to see. Which is the second thing, you potentially have an enormous audience out there. Thirdly, you also get this funky tortured artist thing going, "look at my precious words up here, not for money or fame, but just because it has to be said." You can be the individual against the world, decorating your own little island with whatever you want. Which is another thing. You can do whatever you want. You aren't restricted by wrod counts, or subject matter or what anyone else thinks. You can just please yourself. If someone reads it and gets it. Cool. If they don't you can tell yourself you don't care. Which is what I'm gonna do. It's a weird feeling. You're putting yourself out into the world but there are so many other voices shouting that you'll probably never be noticed. It's very private and completely public at the same time.

Enough of my waffle. I have to go watch Friends now. I know it's lame but I can't think of any good excuses at the moment. Let's just say I'm doing it to sate the child I was when the show first started and was cool and funny and fresh.

Man, that is so lame.