Monday, May 05, 2003

I know I said that Ken doesn’t know when to quit, but even I didn’t think he had a chance of coming back at Mark Williams. But he did. He won six frames on the trot and he only lost in the end by 18-16. An incredibly gutsy performance and one that he has nothing to be ashamed of. I’ve been watching a lot of sport recently, with the rugby, soccer, hurling and football, and I am always disgusted by the way that the sport itself is undermined by cheating, club politics, badmouthing, backbiting, bad sportsmanship and bad playing. It was refreshing to watch the snooker championships, which was dominated by manners, sporting behaviour, excitement and uniformly excellent play. This is a sport where if a player commits a foul that the referee missed, he will call the foul on himself. It’s nothing short of miraculous in the realm of professional sport. Other sports should take note.

On the other hand, thank god the championship is over - I can finally have my life back.